🔍 See Original Answer on Ask Ubuntu 🔗
Unable to log on to 18.04
August 28, 2018
Edited: November 23, 2020
November 24, 2022
Copy to clipboard: false
Console access has changed in 18.04
You converted from 16.04 to 18.04 and cannot log into TTY. See this: How do I switch between console mode and GUI in 17.10 and newer?
- In 16.04 you could press Ctrl+Alt+F1 for console (as you call
tty) and Ctrl+Alt+F7 for GUI.
- In 18.04 pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 brings up the GUI and Ctrl+Alt+F3 to Ctrl+Alt+F7 brings up the console (tty).
Four new Desktop environments were added in 18.04
When upgrading 16.04 to 18.04 you can get five different sign in options for different desktop environments:
- Key in your password but do not press Enter.
- Click the gear icon next to the Sign In button.
- The drop down menu pictured above will now appear.
- When upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04 you’ll want to select the highlighted option Unity
- The drop down menu will close and now you can press Enter for the password to be accepted.
Invalid password login loop in 18.04
There was a bug where if you entered the password incorrectly the first time, you could not successfully enter it until rebooting:
- May 06, 2018 - Can’t login on 18.04 after entering wrong password
- April 19, 2018 - (regression) Ubuntu 18.04 login screen rejects a valid password on first attempt (if starting with Shift key). Usually works on the second attempt
July 25, 2018 - Ubuntu 18.04 on login loop, even with correct password