🔍 See Original Answer on Ask Ubuntu 🔗
Ubuntu doesn't reboot
July 30, 2017
November 24, 2022
Copy to clipboard: false
Your laptop has the Intel i7-6700HQ 6th generation CPU known as “Skylake”. It also has a NVidia Geforce GTX 970M GPU. To eliminate the dedicated Nvidia GPU from the equation you can temporarily work with only the integrated Intel GPU in the short term.
When using Skylake you made need updates:
- Ubuntu 15.10: Various "types" of freezes and now unexpected shutdown
- [“W: Possible missing firmware for module i915bpo” when updating initramfs](/2017/02/03/_W-Possible-missing-firmware-for-module-i915bpo-when-updating-initramfs.html)
- Ubuntu doesn't reboot
These are some of the answers I’ve written but there are many great answers others have written:
- No version of Ubuntu can be installed with any Skylake 6th generation Intel processor
- 16.04: How to get the recommended intel-microcode package to fix hyper-threading issue?
- Ubuntu 16.04 Skylake 6th Generation Screen Flickering
- Ubuntu 16.04 Skylake overheating
Unfortunately not enough is known about your specific problems to point your question as a duplicate of an existing one.
One last thing to change is the Intel c-state max idle:
Although targeted at Intel BayTrail users it seems to have improved things for other Intel CPU users as well. If these fixes work I regard them as a work-around to make life better in the short term until a real solution is found.